Lemon Agave Margarita
A Lemon Agave Margarita is a bright and citrusy take on the classic margarita, but without that pesky over-sweetened margarita mix. Made with fresh lemon juice and agave, this margarita is fresh and vibrant. Plus it can be rimmed with salt OR sugar, depending on your mood!
I have to be honest with you…
Margaritas used to be something that I totally hated…
I know, I knowwwwwwww, how could I possibly say a thing like that?!
Honestly, it was because of one thing.
Little ol’ me who didn’t know any better, used to think all margaritas were made with margarita mix. You know that sour and sweet mix that tastes processed and doesn’t really capture the flavor of what a margarita SHOULD be.
At the time, most of the margaritas you ordered out were, at least for the classic margaritas.
However, it took one bar up in chilly Breckenridge with my mom for me to take a gamble on what they called their “fresh” margarita.
The moment I tasted it, I realized what margaritas were really supposed to be about. It had fresh juice, a little raw sugar and tequila. That’s. It.
Ever since then, it’s been all about the fresh margaritas for me. I’ve actually come to crave them, particularly on those taco nights that I inevitably demand each week…
This margarita falls rights into that “fresh” category, but with a lemony twist instead of using lime juice. I love the brightness that the lemon brings to the tequila, and how the agave smooths it all out at the end of every sip.
It makes it so this margarita pairs with a salt OR sugar rim – which is ideal for me since I switch back and forth between wanting some sweet or salty!
Such an easy cocktail makes for a great margarita to serve up and parties, and the two rimming mixtures I’ve included in the recipe below will appeal to everyone, no matter if they prefer sugar or salt!
So let’s get this party started already, shall we?!
This Recipe’s Must Haves
Since this cocktail is super simple to make, all you have to do is grab your shaker and you’ll be all set!
For the rimming mixtures, I like to mix them up in mixing bowls. Then you can use a rimming set to rim your glasses, or simply use plates. I like the rimming set I linked here so you can rim your glasses in style. They also work great for a party so you can keep it all neat and tidy as you make more margaritas!
Pin this Lemon Agave Margarita recipe for later!
- 3 oz fresh lemon juice
- 5 oz silver tequila
- 1 1/2 oz agave
- dash orange bitters
Lemon Rimming Sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon zest
- Lemon wedge
Lemon Rimming Salt
- 1/3 cup sea salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon zest
- Lemon wedges
- To make the rimming sugar, combine sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl. Stir to combine. Add to a shallow bowl or small plate.
- To make the rimming salt, combine salt and lemon zest in a small bowl. Stir to combine. Add to a shallow bowl or small plate.
- Rub the rim of a cocktail glass with a wedge of lemon to wet it. Swirl the rim through a pile of lemon rimming sugar or lemon rimming salt.
- To make the cocktail, add lemon juice, tequila, agave and bitters to an ice-filled cocktail shaker. Shake well for 15 seconds.
- Add ice to your rimmed glasses. Strain the margarita into the glasses, dividing the cocktail evenly. Serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.