Jameson Old Fashioned
A Jameson Old Fashioned is a simple twist on the classic cocktail recipe that’ll really surprise you! The kick of Irish whiskey with bitters, a little sugar and a splash of soda gives you a smooth drink that’ll elevate happy hour.
Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I will receive a small commission.
Did I happen to mention how much I loathe moving?
It is basically the worst thing to have to do. And somehow, I have been doing it every year for years now… UGH.
It’s hard enough just coordinating the details of a truck, storage, changing addresses and actually moving all of the things you own.
It’s even worse packing it all up into what feels like 10 million boxes…
Especially when you have a wall full of food props. GAH.
All you can think is, how… HOW did I accumulate all this crap? I’ve taken to irrationally tossing things in bags for donation because I don’t want to deal with packing and moving it.
Good news is I’m streamlining.
Bad news is being a food blogger means I have to pack my prop room (oh yea, it’s a room). GAH so much packing paper...
I am having nightmares about being buried until a pile of packing paper with no way out….
Needless to say, my pans are packed away and cooking is a bit of a challenge. So it’s all about the cocktails on Cake ‘n Knife for now!
Not just any cocktail though… classic cocktails.
Like a perfect old fashioned. Perfectly balanced and tasty.
In addition, the cocktail you go to after a day of packing, multiple trips to the storage unit and an aching back.
Therefore a stiff drink is a godsend at the end of one of those days, trust me.
My love for Irish whiskey is the foundation of this Jameson Old Fashioned.
There’s something about it (probably all that Irish blood pulsing through my veins) that is irresistible to me.
As a result, after yet another long day of prep, I will be kicking back with this guy. Cheers to the freakin’ weekend people.
It can’t come fast enough!
This Recipe’s Must Haves
- 8″ Long Stainless Steel Cocktail Muddler is the one muddler I love to use that’s stainless steel! I usually like wooden ones but lately with the hoards of dishes I’ve been plagued with, the stainless steel muddler is SO much easier to clean and just as effective.
- If you don’t have Tovolo Sphere Ice Molds, you need to buy them immediately. The round sphere of ice is perfect for any cocktail, melts slower than normal ice cubes so it doesn’t water down your drink and it looks so elegant, doesn’t it?
- 1 1/2 oz Jameson Irish whiskey
- 1 sugar cube
- 2 dashes angostura bitters
- Splash club soda
- Orange slice
- Maraschino cherry
- In a rocks glass, muddle together the sugar cube, angostura bitters and splash of club soda until sugar is dissolved.
- Add desired ice (see note) and fill with whiskey.
- Garnish with orange slice and cherry.
You can make this cocktail with regular ice, a large ice sphere, or no ice at all, if desired. If you are making it without ice, be sure to thoroughly chill the rocks glass and Jameson whiskey before serving.