Please note this post contains affiliate links.
Spicy BBQ Chicken Wonton Cups are the ultimate appetizer for your next gathering! Crispy golden wonton cups are stuffed with spicy apple habanero bbq shredded chicken and topped with a crunchy apple coleslaw. Ready in 35 minutes, they are perfect for game days, backyard bbqs, or parties. Makes 12 cups.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Head Country Bar-B-Q. As always, all opinions are my own.
about these spicy bbq chicken wonton cups
Tailgating season is here and this marks the official kickoff of all my favorite foods for the rest of the year.
When I think about game day eats, my mind always goes to BBQ. Do you feel the same way?
Whether I’m firing up the grill or just dousing my favorite pulled pork sandwich in sauce, BBQ is a must-have somewhere on the tailgating table spread.
Of course you know any BBQ element on my table has to have Head Country Bar-B-Q involved. This time, instead of using their Original BBQ Sauce (which is a classic for a reason!), I’m pulling out the Apple Habanero BBQ Sauce.
This sauce is super unique because it has a sweet tartness from the apples in it, but it also has a subtle heat to it that builds as you eat more of it. It’s the kind of sauce that makes ordinary BBQ dishes really stand out. I personally also love it for fall because apples are in their prime season and you can pair them with your BBQ so easily!
These cups are such a snap to make that they absolutely have to win a spot on your gathering menu!
Juicy shredded apple habanero bbq chicken fills crunchy golden cups which are topped off with a crunchy and fresh apple coleslaw. You get sweet, heat, tartness, and texture in every single bite.
My mouth is watering just thinking about these again…
They are easy enough to make the day of your event, but if you want to save some time, you can easily make these ahead of time. I’ve got more tips below on how to make that happen, as well as some FAQs and more helpful tips. Scroll down for more or simply check the Table of Contents above to skip to what you need (including the recipe card!).
chicken broth – store-bought or homemade works great here!
bbq sauce – specifically, Head Country Apple Habanero BBQ Sauce! The flavor of this sauce is SO good. It’s got a lovely apple flavor with just the right amount of heat and their signature spice blend. It’s perfect for pairing with chicken, but it’s also fabulous with pork! You’ll only need one bottle for this recipe.
chicken – for this recipe I use boneless, skinless chicken breast. However you can also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or a combination of the two).
wonton wrappers – you can find these in the refrigerated section of your local supermarket! If you can’t find it at your supermarket, look for them at an Asian market or simply use egg roll wrappers and cut them to size (details on that below!).
mayonnaise – use full-fat or light, depending on your preference. You can also use plain Greek yogurt.
vinegar – you will need apple cider vinegar for the dressing for the coleslaw.
honey – your favorite honey works here! You can also use maple syrup or agave instead as the sweetener.
spices – paprika (sweet or smoked), salt and pepper are all that you need!
coleslaw – pick up a bag of your favorite coleslaw mix.
apple – green apple is best here! The tartness is a great pairing for the rest of the recipe.
green onion – not 100% necessary, but I like the flavor it adds!
this recipe’s must haves
For this recipe, you will need an Instant Pot! I have an Instant Pot Ultra and I love it.
You will also need a cutting board to shred the cooked chicken on.
To make the wonton cups, you’ll need a 12-cup muffin tin.
Finally you’ll need a large mixing bowl from your set of metal mixing bowls, a whisk, and a wooden spoon.
here’s how to make spicy bbq chicken wonton cups
make instant pot bbq chicken
Add broth and 1/2 cup Head Country Apple Habanero BBQ Sauce to the Instant Pot insert. Whisk together until combined, then add chicken.
Set to Manual and cook on High pressure for 10 minutes. Let pressure naturally release (i.e. don’t touch it!) for 5 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure.
Remove chicken to a cutting board and shred with two forks.
Stir the remaining BBQ sauce into the sauce in the insert. Return the chicken to the sauce in the insert and stir to combine.
Set to Saute and allow sauce to thicken. Keep warm and set aside.
make wonton cups
Spray each cup in a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Press one wonton wrapper into each cup, spray with cooking spray, and add another wonton wrapper on top. Make sure you press it well into the bottom.
Bake for 15 minutes at 350˚F until golden brown. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, honey, and spices until combined. Add coleslaw and sliced apple, folding in until combined and everything is well incorporated.
Fill each cup with shredded BBQ chicken and top with a drizzle of BBQ sauce. Add a scoop of coleslaw on top and sprinkle with sliced green onion. Serve!
tips for success
try pulled pork. If you want to change these up, you can always swap the chicken for pulled pork. Simply change 2lbs of chicken breast for 2lbs of boneless pork shoulder cut into cubes. Cook on manual pressure for 40 minutes and manually release pressure at the end.
make a double batch. This is the easiest recipe to double up on because you don’t need to change the cooking times! All you need to have is an extra 12-cup muffin tin and a larger bowl for the coleslaw.
More tasty bbq appetizer recipes to try: Honey BBQ Grilled Chicken Wings | Hearty BBQ Charcuterie Board | BBQ Short Ribs Fondue | Skillet Southwestern BBQ Chicken Dip
can these bbq chicken wonton cups be made ahead of time?
They sure can! You can make the shredded chicken, wonton cups, and coleslaw up to 3 days ahead of time. Be sure to store them all in separate airtight containers and leave the assembly to just before serving. Reheat the chicken in the microwave, then assemble as the instructions say below.
can I use a different flavor bbq sauce?
Yes! If you want a different BBQ sauce flavor, Head Country has a bunch to choose from! For something with more heat, use Hot & Spicy BBQ Sauce. You can also use their Original BBQ Sauce.
are wonton wrappers and egg roll wrappers the same?
They are the same type of dough! The biggest difference in that wonton wrappers are smaller in size, roughly 3-inch squares. If you can’t find wonton wrappers, you can use egg roll wrappers and cut them down to size!
Need some more inspiration for game day? Check out my appetizers recipe page!
what to serve with spicy bbq chicken wonton cups
These bbq chicken wonton cups are great for any party spread, no matter what the occasion! I love to serve them on game day, but birthdays, backyard bbqs, game nights, and even birthday parties call for these crunchy cups.
If you need a cocktail to pair with them, I love something lighter like a sparkling whiskey sour. You can also keep the apple theme going with a thyme apple gin and tonic or an apple bourbon smash!
how to store
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days.
If you want to prep the different elements before a party, here’s how to do it!
- Store baked wonton cups at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 to 4 days.
- Store bbq shredded chicken and coleslaw in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator. Both can be stored for up to 3 days. Reheat chicken in the microwave before assembling the cups and serving.
Finally, if you make this spicy bbq chicken wonton cups, please be sure to give this recipe a rating or leave a comment! I love to hear when you all make recipes, and I do take the time to respond to every single comment. Feel free to drop questions below too, if you have them!
Oh and be sure to tag me on Instagram if you make the recipe! Love being able to see these recipes come to live in your homes – it’s my favorite thing to look through those photos. It really means the world to me!
Spicy BBQ Chicken Wonton Cups with Apple Coleslaw
The combination of spicy bbq chicken, crunchy wontons, and fresh slaw is an easy appetizer for any gathering!
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt or mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp paprika, sweet or smoked
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb coleslaw mix
- 1 green apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups Head Country Apple Habanero BBQ Sauce (divided)
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 24 wonton wrappers, square
- Cooking Spray
- Garnish: thinly sliced green onion
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray each cup in a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, honey, paprika, salt, and pepper.Add the cabbage and apple, tossing to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate.
- Add broth and 1/2 cup Head Country Apple Habanero BBQ Sauce to the insert of the Instant Pot. Whisk together until combined. Add chicken to the sauce.
- Set to Manual and cook on High pressure for 10 minutes. Let naturally release for 5 minutes before manually releasing any remaining pressure.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and shred with two forks.
- Add the remaining BBQ sauce to the insert and whisk together. Return shredded chicken to the insert, stirring to coat. Set to saute to thicken for a couple of minutes, stirring consistently, for about 2 to 3 minutes. Turn Instant Pot off and cover to keep warm.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the wonton cups. Press one wonton wrapper into each cup of the prepared muffin tin, then spray the wonton wrappers with a light spray of cooking spray. Add another wonton wrapper on top and press into the bottom. Spray with another light spray of cooking spray.
- Bake wonton wrappers 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Add shredded chicken to each wonton cup, dividing evenly between the cups. Drizzle with a little extra BBQ sauce and top with coleslaw. Garnish with green onion and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Leave a Reply