Pumpkin Bourbon Hot Chocolate
Pumpkin Bourbon Hot Chocolate is a creamy, dreamy cocktail that will warm you up from the inside out! Make your chilly fall evening special by whipping up mugs of this rich and indulgent hot chocolate. You’ll never go back to regular hot chocolate again!
Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting Cake ‘n Knife!
You all knew this one was coming didn’t you…?
It was only a matter of time before I started whipping out the warm cocktails for you all!
With the weather cooling down here in Denver (well, not counting yesterday when the temps hit 85 degrees… ICK), I am allllll about the warm drinks.
Part of this is due to dosing myself with Theraflu each night while I’ve been sick, and then transitioning to warm bourbon apple cider once I started feeling like a human again.
Hot chocolate is one of those indulgences I start turning to once the weather gets cold, and get excessive with once I start celebrating Christmas season.
I mean, I marathon Christmas movies throughout December, so hot chocolate is kiiiiiiinda necessary.
BUT I feel kind of crazy getting into the normal hot chocolate routine too early because all I feel like is “Christmas! Christmas! Christmas!”
So this is my non-Christmas solution to enjoying hot chocolate all fall season long.
I have never put pumpkin and other fall spices in my hot chocolate, but now that I have, I am never doing it any other way the moment September hits.
The creamy pumpkin and rich warming spices like cinnamon and nutmeg complement the bittersweet dark chocolate cocoa mixture in such a soothing way. The moment the mixture hits your lips, it’s like drinking a pumpkin spice latte, except without the excess sugar and caffeine.
Instead of the sugar and caffeine, you get chocolate and bourbon!
SO much better, am I right?!
Grab a mug, kick back with some cookies, and enjoy the fall… because winter is coming…
Sorry, I just had to go there. Don’t roll your eyes, you know you love me 😉
This Recipe’s Must Haves
- My favorite mugs to drink fancy hot chocolate cocktails out of are hands down these Libbey Irish Coffee Mugs.
- Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Open Sauce Pot for all your homemade hot chocolate making needs.
- Cuisinart Silicone Whisk is essentially to whisking in that chocolate until it melts perfectly!
Pin this Pumpkin Bourbon Hot Chocolate recipe for later!
Pumpkin Bourbon Hot Chocolate
Yield: Serves 4
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 5 Tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp all spice
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 oz bourbon
- Garnish: toasted marshmallows
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm milk until it begins to simmer, approximately 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in pumpkin puree, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, and vanilla extract. Whisk gently until the ingredients are combined.
- Stir in chopped chocolate, whisking until the chocolate is melted. Remove from heat and stir in bourbon.
- Divide the hot chocolate between 4 glasses. Top with 3 large marshmallows and using a torch, toast the tops of the marshmallows.
- Serve immediately.