Get in a spooky and festive mood with these Chorizo Jalapeño Mummy Poppers! The simple filling has smoky heat, and the crescent roll wrapping gives the poppers serious Halloween flair. Feed a crowd with a full batch or make a half batch for your family to celebrate with! Serves 10 to 12.
I don’t always hop on festive trends for Halloween, but the mummy poppers trend is one that I have been loving!
The first time I made them was working with a client, and they were just too adorable to pass up for background in the Halloween cocktail images I was working on.
Of course then the pandemic hit and pregnancy… and the recipe fell into my “to-make” pile for a wee bit too long.
This year I dug it up because we are going into a holiday season with a bit more confidence than last year (yay science, am I right?!). These chorizo jalapeño mummy poppers are way too much fun for a Halloween spread, and they are super easy to make! The only real time-consuming step is wrapped the jalapeño poppers to look like mummies.
You can even do a lot of the prep work ahead of time! I like to prep the filling and store it in a container in the fridge for a day or two ahead of any gathering I’m serving these at. You can also prep the jalapeños by seeding them and storing them in a big resealable bag in the fridge!
I know I’ll get a bunch of questions about this, so, let’s talk about the eyeballs!
The ones you see here are candy. Some people LOVE the sweet burst of flavor to pair with the savory spiciness of the poppers. I have also heard from a few people that it’s not their cup of tea.
For those who don’t like the sweet/savory combo, just tell them to pick the eyes off! If you are worried about that idea, simply use slices of black olives for eyeballs for a more savory approach that will pair well with the flavors in the poppers as well.
Other yummy party appetizer recipes: Quick Carne Asada Nachos | Dry Rub Wings | BBQ Fried Mac N Cheese Balls | Cheesy BBQ Chicken Pull Apart Sliders
this recipe’s must-haves
Finally, get some candy eyeballs to get the look you see here.
Need to know how to seed a jalapeño before you get started? This post has all my top tips and tricks!
let’s make delish chorizo jalapeño mummy poppers!
Add chorizo, cheeses, red onion, egg, cream cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, salt, and pepper to a large mixing bowl. Stir everything together until well combined.
Fill each jalapeño half with the filling mixture. Be sure to fill them completely, using the back of a spoon to pack it in and smooth the top.
Cut the crescent roll dough into long thin strips. Use the strips to wrap around the filled jalapeño halves, leaving a space near the top for the eyes. You will use about 2 to 3 strips per jalapeño. Brush the tops of the poppers with beaten egg and place on prepared baking sheet.
Bake at 400˚ for 10 to 14 minutes until the dough is browned and the filling is bubbling. Remove from the oven and press eyes into the cheese where you left the opening. Serve immediately.
Need some more inspiration for Halloween? Check out my Halloween recipes page!
where do you get candy eyeballs?
I order mine from Amazon – these candy eyeballs specifically. You can also pick up the Wilton brand at your local Michael’s!
can I use something else besides candy for the eyeballs?
I know the idea of sweet and savory isn’t everyone’s cup of tea – all you have to do is use slices of black olives. The flavor will pair well with the poppers and you can go more of a savory route without losing the aesthetic completely.
how far ahead can these mummy poppers be made?
You can make the filling and store it on its own in a container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days before making the poppers. I also recommend seeding the jalapeños and storing those in a large bag for up to 2 days in the fridge to save yourself some time the day of.
- 1 cup Mexican chorizo, cooked and crumbled
- 4 oz shredded sharp cheddar about 1 cup
- 4 oz shredded gouda
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (I used Cholula)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 12 large jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded and halved
- 1 package refrigerated crescent rolls
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Candy eyeballs (can be purchased at Michael's or on Amazon)
- Preheat oven 400° F. Line a large baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Add chorizo, shredded cheeses, red onion, egg, cream cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, salt, and pepper to a large bowl. Stir together until well combined.
- Fill each jalapeño half with the cheese mixture. Set aside.
- Cut the crescent roll dough into long strips, about 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch wide. Use these strips to wrap each jalapeño with dough, leaving a space close to the top for eyes. You will use about 1 to 2 strips per jalapeño. Brush the dough with beaten egg and place on baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 10-14 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown. Remove from the oven and press the eyes into the cheese where the opening is. Serve immediately.
Note: you can remove the eyes before eating if you think they are a bit sweet. If you'd prefer not to use candy eyeballs to make the whole thing edible, you can also make savory "eyes" out of sliced black olives.