Smashed Raspberry Compote
Smashed Raspberry Compote is a fruity, summery sauce that goes great with anything you can think of! From ice cream to angel food cake to cheesecake, the tart compote is a great way to celebrate berry season.
It’s summer. That means it’s time to break out the berries during those long sunny afternoons spent lounging on the porch.
I blame the farmer’s market for this whole compote idea that came wandering into my brain this week.
It all started with this insanely delicious lemon curd that I could not resist buying at the farmer’s market a few weeks again.
The lemon curd of course disappeared quickly…
Though I did try to drag out its inevitable end – i.e. me licking the container until every last drop was gone.
I really wanted a bright raspberry compote that could go with several desserts, from vanilla ice cream to cheesecake to angel food cake.
What I ended up with was a sweet and tangy compote that I ended up primarily eating straight off my spoon.
This is not only the best thing to pair with most summer desserts, it is ridiculously addictive on its own.
Seriously, you will be eating this straight out of the container anytime the mood strikes you. You’ll see me use it all over this blog in recipes like Double Chocolate Chip Raspberry Waffles, Nutella Icebox Stacks, Raspberry S’mores Bars, and more….
It’s become a staple in my cupboard as soon as the good raspberries start hitting the grocery stores in my area. You can use it in one of my recipes, or simply load it up on some vanilla ice cream when you’re hanging around on the back porch this summer!
I am in love with fresh fruit and this compote just amps up the natural fresh raspberry flavor. It’s literally a party in your mouth. Actually more like a parade. With fireworks and a marching band.
This Recipe’s Must-Haves
- Cuisinart Chef’s Classic Nonstick 1-Quart Saucepan to get the raspberries cooking in!
- Ball Pint Jar, Set of 2 so that you can always store the compote in those adorable mason jars everyone freaks out about nowadays 😉
- A OXO Good Grips Wooden Corner Spoon & Scraper is perfect for scraping everything out of the saucepan and into the mason jar!
Pin this Smashed Raspberry Compote recipe for later…
Smashed Raspberry Compote
Yield: 2 cups
Cook Time:15 minutes
Total Time:30 minutes
- 2 pints raspberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Grand Marnier
- ½ tsp cornstarch
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and stir to combine. Simmer for 10 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Once the raspberries fall apart and the sauce is thickened, remove from heat. Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with ice cream, angel food cake, cheesecake, or anything else you can think of!