Pumpkin Ricotta Ravioli with Brown Butter Sage Sauce
Pumpkin Ricotta Ravioli with Brown Butter Sage Sauce is an elegant meal that every fall dinner should feature. The rich pumpkin ricotta filling plays off the silky brown butter sage sauce, all with fresh homemade pasta! Don’t let the homemade pasta intimidate you – it really is easier than you think to create.
Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting Cake ‘n Knife!
So homemade pasta is back, and it is here to stay.
I suppose it was just decades of recipes ago… 😉
Note: This is a Cake ‘n Knife archive post that has been updated!
I received a pasta roller attachment for my KitchenAid Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer a handful of years ago, and I am ashamed to say, I haven’t busted them out for a couple of years… I thought I would be making pasta all the dang time, but I got a little lazy and a little crazy and it got put on a shelf in the closet.
Moving has a funny way of bringing things back into your life and this is one of those instances. After watching Gordon Ramsey make pasta with a group of amateur cooks, the next day I was ready to get back at it myself!
As I was rolling my first sheets of pasta, I could almost picture myself working in the Iron Chef Stadium, racing against the clock to make perfect ravioli for the judges…
I have an active imagination.
Let’s focus on the FOOD now.
It’s time for all things pumpkin and I know that The Man is SO stoked about it. He loves all things pumpkin, from pumpkin beer to pumpkin cookies, so I had to remake this old recipe for him upon moving in.
After all that hard work we both deserved a reward of delicious pillows of pumpkin goodness, shamelessly smothered in brown butter and sage.
Ugh, it’s just so beautiful and so tasty.
I could easily inhale a pound of these ravioli without blinking an eye (don’t judge).
This Week’s Must Haves
- Le Creuset Enamel-on-Steel 16-Quart Covered Stockpot
- Helen Chen’s Asian Kitchen Stainless Steel Spider Strainer
- Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 11-3/4-Inch Skillet
Pin this Pumpkin Ricotta Ravioli with Brown Butter Sage Sauce recipe for later!
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp water
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 10 sage leaves, chopped
- Pour flour out onto a clean work surface and make a large, wide well. Add eggs, water, and salt to the well and beat together with a fork (be sure you don't break the edges of the well). Slowly incorporate flour as you mix, until the mixture begins to come together and starts to become a loose dough. Bring the rest of the dough together with your hands. It will take a little time, but work and knead the dough until all the flour is fully incorporated and the dough is smooth and easy to work with. Wrap the ball of dough in plastic wrap and rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- While the pasta rests, prepare the filling. Combine ricotta, pumpkin puree, egg, salt, and nutmeg in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Once the dough has rested, use a pasta machine or a rolling pin to roll the pasta out into wide sheets. Place tablespoons of the filling on the dough, and top with another sheet of pasta dough. Seal the edges around the filling and cut the ravioli. I used a ravioli stamp to make my ravioli. Refrigerate ravioli until ready to cook.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with a good amount of salt. Boil ravioli in batches for about 7 minutes. Drain the ravioli and set aside.
- While the ravioli is cooking, brown the butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add sage and cook for a few extra minutes. Transfer ravioli to the pan and toss in the sauce. Serve immediately and garnish with a couple leaves of sage.