Summer Corn Tomato Risotto
Summer Corn Tomato Risotto is full of freshly grilled vegetables! It can be served as a main dish or you can serve it as a side with your favorite protein. The foolproof recipe for risotto is a must-make! Serves 4.
A couple of week’s ago I shared my foolproof way of making risotto at home.
Now, I am bringing you a way to take that tasty risotto and make it perfect for summer!
If you follow me on Instagram, you know I am all about the farmers market this time of year. I love picking up the best produce I can find every weekend, and so I decided those veggies would be perfect for incorporating into a creamy risotto for summer.
This is where seasonal cooking is at its finest. I grill the tomatoes and corn to get a bit of char on them before prepping them to be added to the creamy risotto.
The finish of fresh basil gives the flavor extra pop. I love to serve this up under slices of grilled steak or chicken. It’s the ideal summer meal, especially for a gathering because everyone will be quite impressed with this colorful dish 😉
Other yummy risotto recipes: Chile Braised Short Ribs with Parmesan White Wine Risotto | Salmon Lemon Risotto with Asparagus | Red Wine Risotto with Steak and Blue Cheese
this recipe’s must-haves
I love this risotto skillet because it has tall sides and is the perfect size for this particular recipe.
Be sure to have a wooden spoon to stir everything together – you’ll be stirring for a bit!
we’re making summer corn tomato risotto!
Preheat the grill to High heat. Grill the corn cobs and tomatoes until they are cooked through. Remove from the grill to a cutting board, then let cool slightly. Once the vegetables are cool enough to handle, roughly chop up the tomatoes and remove the kernels from the cobs.
Heat a large high-sided skillet over medium heat with oil. Once warm, add garlic and cook until browned, about 30 seconds to 1 minutes. Stir in the rice and toast for about 2 minutes. The rice should get a little brown during this time.
Cook & Stir
Add wine and simmer until the liquid is almost all evaporated. Pour in 1 cup of warm stock, stirring constantly. Continue to stir while the rice cooks until the stock has been absorbed. Repeat this process of adding in stock 1 cup at a time, then stirring until the rice is cooked through.
Note that you may not need to use all the stock. Be sure to taste test the rice in between each addition to check for doneness! Mine usually takes about 25 to 35 minutes total to cook.
Stir in parmesan cheese and butter until it is all melted. Then stir in the chopped basil and grilled vegetables to finish it off. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then serve!
Need all the tips and tricks for how to make the perfect risotto? Check out my risotto post.
- 2 ears corn cobs, shucked
- 1 lb fresh tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine (I used a chardonnay)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp freshly chopped basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to High heat. Add corn cobs and tomatoes to the grill, cooking for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from grill to a cutting board.
- Once cool enough to touch, chop the tomatoes and remove corn kernels from the cobs. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock for the risotto to a simmer; cover and keep warm over low heat.
- In a large high side skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until browned, about 1 minute. Stir in the rice and toast for 2 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until almost evaporated. Pour in approximately 1 cup of the hot stock. Cook, stirring constantly, until the stock has been absorbed. Repeat this process, adding 1 cup of stock at a time and stirring until the rice is tender. You may not need all the stock so test the rice between each addition. It should take approximately 25 to 35 minutes total.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and butter until both are melted. Fold in tomatoes, corn, and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Traeger Lil Tex Elite 34 Pellet Grill
Traeger Hickory 100% All-Natural Hardwood Grill Pellets
Organic Bamboo Cutting Board
Shun Classic Limited Edition Paring Knife
18-Inch Long Handle Wooden Cooking Mixing Spoon
Lagostina Nera Hard Anodized Nonstick 12-Inch Skillet with Hammered Stainless Steel Lid