Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
It’s officially October and I am absolutely brimming with joy. 🙂
Not only because this month is full of birthdays (including mine!), Halloween is right around the corner, and I can officially start wearing sweaters and boots. I mean those are all amazing reasons, but even more amazing is that this is the start of a new season of flavors!
I am so ready for pumpkin, butternut squash, sage, and all these other lovely things that will be dancing across my palette in the coming months…
Sorry I sound like I am completely starving don’t I? I swear all I think about it food some days…
I should refocus my attention to this darling little cupcake. If you are looking for that perfect mix of dense and fluffy cake with a not too sweet frosting, this is the jackpot of all that. It’s like you are literally take a bite of all that Fall goodness this season has to offer.
There’s something about pumpkin in baked goods that automatically makes me feel like I am all wrapped up in a warm blanket, snuggled up on the couch.
Or maybe it’s just cupcakes… It’s hard to tell.
So tell me….. who else is excited for Fall??
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
- 4 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- pinch of fine grain sea salt
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 pounds confectioners’ sugar
- 4-6 tablespoons milk
- 1 ½ tsp cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together, brown sugar, sugar, butter, and eggs. Gradually add in the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Stir in the pumpkin puree.
- Divide batter evenly among 20 cupcake liners, filling approximately halfway. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Gradually add in confectioners' sugar, and continue beating until fully combined. Beat in salt, vanilla, and 3 Tbsp of milk. Add additional Tbsp of milk at a time until you reach desired consistency. Beat on high until smooth and fluffy.
- Ice the cooled cupcakes as desired.