Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken with Mozzarella and Basil
I remember when I lived in Italy how easy and inexpensive it was to get prosciutto at the grocery store. After making a habit of eating prosciutto and spicy salami sandwiches every day, coming back to Denver was a rude awakening when it came to my meat cravings. Though prosciutto was available to me, its cost slide outside of my poor college student budget and thus I was left to buy prosciutto only for very special occasions…
Good thing #5 about becoming an adult = having the funds to buy prosciutto whenever you want.
This is directly behind buying alcohol and eating cookie dough for dinner of course….
I am big believer in wrapping prosciutto around anything you can. Shrimp, asparagus, melon, scallops, the list goes on and on. Surprisingly enough, this is the first time I have wrapped chicken in this wondrous meat (which in my opinion is better than bacon by leaps and bounds… THAT’S saying something).
Now this recipe may not seem like much, to be honest it only takes a few minutes of active cooking, but the flavors explode in your mouth. Whoever is eating it is going to think it took you put a lot more effort into it than you really did (and that’s the best feeling in the world isn’t it?).
- 4 chicken breasts, pounded down
- 8 leaves fresh basil
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese, 1/4 inch thick
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 8 slices prosciutto
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a large baking sheet.
- Place 2 basil leaves on each chicken breast. Add a slice of mozzarella on top of each chicken breast and season with salt and pepper. Wrap 2 slices of prosciutto around each breast, securing with toothpicks.
- Bake chicken in the oven on the baking sheet for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with rice and vegetables.