Instant Pot White Cheddar Mac and Cheese is the easiest, creamiest mac to make! With only a handful of ingredients, this is the one pot meal to rule the weeknight dinner blues. Stir in your favorite protein if you want! Serves 6.
Mac and cheese has become a new favorite during pregnancy.
Of course, I always loved mac and cheese, but while being pregnant, it’s become even more of a star in my eyes.
I personally love homemade mac, but not just any recipe. There’s a specific white cheddar mac and cheese that I used to make all the time on grad school. It had broccoli in it, and even though it took FOREVER to make, it was something I’d stay up late to make.
These days, staying up and eating late really isn’t in the cards for me 😂. However, I still crave that white cheddar goodness, so today I’m making it on the Instant Pot!
Therefore making life easy for everyone!
This creamy, dreamy white cheddar mac and cheese is pure magic. It is done in such little time, you’ll be absolutely amazed!
I love eating it as is, but there are tons of ways to customize this recipe!
- Stir in leftover cooked meat like shredded chicken or pork, chunks of steak, or slices of sausage.
- Stir in your favorite cooked vegetable like broccoli or carrots.
- Add salsa and hot sauce for a spicy flair!
Or serve this creamy mac as a side with your favorite entree!
Want more mac and cheese inspiration? Check out this Jalapeño Chicken Havarti Mac and Cheese or Pulled Pork Spaetzle Mac and Cheese!
this recipe’s must-haves
If you are buying your cheese in a block like I do, be sure you have a great cheese grater on hand!
I love my Instant Pot Ultra, but you can use any model to make this recipe, even the smaller ones.
You will also need a wooden spoon to mix everything up once the noodles are finished cooking.
let’s make yummy white cheddar mac and cheese!
Add noodles, water, and salt to the Instant Pot, then cook on High pressure for just 3 minutes for the perfect al dente noodles.
Once you release the pressure, remove the cover and stir in butter until it’s melted completely into the noodles. Add in cheese, spices, and 3 Tbsp of milk. Stir until the cheese is melted.
Now you can adjust the creaminess! If the mac is too thick, add milk 1 Tbsp at a time, until you get the consistency you want!
For more Instant Pot recipes, check out my Instant Pot recipes page!
can I use a different cheese?
You can use any kind of melting cheese or combo of cheeses you’d like! Cheddar (white or yellow) Colby jack, Monterey Jack, and pepper jack are some personal faves of mine to play with.
how much protein or vegetables should I use if I want to add them in?
I like to use 1 to 1 1/2 cups of any mix-in, whether it’s protein or vegetables. Start with that and if you want to add more you always can!
- 1 lb uncooked elbow pasta
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 1/2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp whole milk + more if needed
- Stir together pasta, water, and salt in the Instant Pot insert. Set to Manual and cook on High pressure for 3 minutes. Quick release pressure when done.
- Stir in butter until it is melted. Add cheese, seasoning, and 3 Tbsp milk, stirring until combined.
- Once the cheese is melted, check the consistency. If it's too thick, add milk 1 Tbsp at a time until it's the consistency you want. Serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.