Instant Pot BBQ Short Rib Tacos
Instant Pot BBQ Short Rib Tacos are an instant hit! With only 5 ingredients, this tender meat makes a killer taco filling that’s full of BBQ flavor. They can also be made in the slow cooker! Serves 4.
Disclosure: This post has been sponsored by Head Country Bar-B-Q. As always, all opinions are my own.
Now that we are officially in September, it’s time to put that Instant Pot to work, am I right?
Here in Colorado, we have the craziest weather so it’s been feeling like summer one day and winter the next, with about an hour or two of perfect fall weather in between.
So of course, I’m already in full fall/winter mode!
It’s this time of year that I start using my Instant Pot for everything. Soups, stews, braised meats, slow cooked meals, and anything else I can possibly think of.
You all know that I love tacos and I have made many a taco filling in the Instant Pot. This time, I’m pulling out one of my favorite meats – short ribs – and pairing them with my favorite sauce from Head Country Bar-B-Q.
You only need 5 ingredients to make these epically tender and juicy short ribs to add to your taco shells! The two star ingredients, other than the short ribs of course, are Head Country Bar-B-Q Championship Original Seasoning and Chipotle BBQ Sauce. The combination of rich herbs and spices along with sweet and smoky sauce makes such a simple flavor bomb.
Of course, you can use any Head Country BBQ sauce, which is the beauty of this recipe! I just love the flavor of the chipotle with the original seasoning because it hits all the right flavor notes for me.
this recipe’s must-haves
First and foremost, make sure you have your favorite Head Country Bar-B-Q ingredients for these bbq short rib tacos. You will need one bottle of sauce and your favorite seasoning.
You will also need an Instant Pot (I personally love my Instant Pot Ultra!) or a slow cooker to cook everything in.
I like to use this wooden spoon to stir and scrape up browned bits on the bottom of the pan when you sear the meat.
let’s make Instant Pot bbq short rib tacos!
Use the Head Country Bar-B-Q Original Seasoning to evenly coat the ribs.
Heat the oil in the Instant Pot on the Saute setting. Once hot, sear ribs for 2 minutes per side. Depending on the size of your Instant Pot, you may have to work in batches. Turn Instant Pot off and remove ribs.
Add apple cider, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the insert. Stir in 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce and then nestle the ribs into the sauce. Give everything a quick stir. Cover, set to Manual, and cook on High for 35 minutes.
Let pressure naturally release for 15 minutes before manually releasing any remaining pressure.
Remove ribs to a cutting board. Shred using two forks, then add meat to a large bowl with 1 cup BBQ sauce. Stir to combine.
Fill corn tortillas with short ribs and top as desired!
Can I use a different Head Country Bar-B-Q Seasoning blend?
You sure can! That’s the beauty of this recipe – it’s super adaptable.
How do I slow cook these bbq short rib tacos?
If you want to slow cook the meat, start by rubbing the meat with the seasoning. You will skip the searing method and instead add the ribs with the BBQ sauce and apple cider to the slow cooker. Stir well to combine, then cook for 8 to 9 hours on low until cooked through and easily falls apart. Remove and shred, then continue with the recipe!
Short Rib Tacos
- 3 to 4 lbs boneless beef short ribs
- 2 Tbsp Head Country Bar-B-Q Original Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 2 1/2 cups Head Country Bar-B-Q Sauce (I used chipotle, but you can use your favorite!)
- Corn tortillas
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Finely sliced red onion
- Sliced jalapeños
- Lime wedges
- Hot sauce
- Sour cream
- Rub the ribs evenly with Head Country Bar-B-Q Original Seasoning. Set aside.
- Add oil to the insert of the Instant Pot and set to Saute function. Once the oil is hot, add short ribs in batches and sear on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat and set aside. Turn Instant Pot off.
- Add apple cider to the bottom of the Instant Pot. Use a wooden scraper spoon to scrape up the bottom of the pot. Make sure no browned bits are stuck to the bottom.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups Heady Country Bar-B-Q Sauce until combined. Add ribs, nestling them in the sauce. Seal and set to Manual. Cook on High pressure for 35 minutes. Let it naturally release pressure (i.e. don’t touch it yet!) for 15 minutes. Manually release any remaining pressure.
- Remove ribs to a cutting board and shred using two forks. Add meat to a large bowl and stir with 1 cup Head Country Bar-B-Q Sauce.
- Assemble tacos, topping with your favorite toppings as desired. I personally like sliced red onion, sliced jalapeno, sour cream, and freshly chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.
Slow Cooker Instructions: Rub the meat with the seasoning evenly. Place in the slow cooker with apple cider and bbq sauce. Stir well to combine, cover, and cook to 8 to 9 hours until cooked through and tender. Remove the ribs from the slow cooker to a cutting board. Shred well with two forks and place in a large bowl with 1 cup BBQ sauce. Stir to combine and serve as you like!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.