Blackberry Sage Gin Smash with Candied Sage Leaves
Blackberry Sage Gin Smash with Candied Sage Leaves is a deliciously fresh cocktail that really brings out the floral notes in the gin. If you are a gin girl (or boy!) like me, you can’t skip this one.
This drink has officially edged out my classic gin & tonic fix as my all-time favorite gin drink, and that’s saying something.
The past few weeks have been a bit tough, I’m not going to lie. I have been feeling this restlessness, probably brought on my too much work and too many online dating fails. I literally had one guy call me “Aphrodite, my love goddess” in an opening message the other day. Seriously, dude? I mean, I’m flattered in a way but that can’t possibly be how you really talk. If it is… Just. No.
To any single guys out there reading this (hahahahaha! not likely, I know), please refrain from these mass messages and flowery text. It’s going to either land you a high-maintenance crazy person or you’re never going to get a date.
So with all this restlessness brewing inside me, and being practically chained to my desk and kitchen for a month meeting insane deadlines, I am SO ready for a break. That’s where I am right now actually. VEGAS – the best place to blow off some steam and get my mind right. Ok more like mind lost so I can get it right when I return to reality.
As soon as I get back, it’ll just take one of these blackberry sage gin smash cocktails and a helping of Chipotle to get right with the world. I love how this cocktail emphasizes the floral notes in the gin. I am a big gin fan, so getting that extra push of flavor out of it from the blackberry-sage combo makes me smile from ear to ear.
Don’t forget to follow me (see those handy social media buttons at the top of my site!) to experience a foodie in Vegas… Oh and feel free to add me on Snapchat too (@megbassett23 – someone please make Snapchat allow us to change usernames already!) – it gets real on there, real fast.
Blackberry Sage Gin Smash
Yield: 2 cocktails
Prep Time:2 minutes
Cook Time:5 minutes
Total Time:7 minutes
- 4 oz Hendrick’s gin
- 1 oz lime juice
- 12 blackberries
- 10 sage leaves
- 1 oz simple syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar + more for dusting
- Club soda
- Bring 1/3 cup water and 1/3 cup sugar to a boil over medium heat. Once the sugar is dissolved, dip 2 sage leaves carefully in the hot simple syrup, shaking off the excess. Roll the leaves in a light coat of sugar and lay flat on a plate to cool and harden in the refrigerator.
- In a shaker, muddle together blackberries with 8 sage leaves. Pour in gin, lime juice and simple syrup and fill with ice.
- Shake and strain evenly between into two glasses filled with ice.
- Top with club soda and garnish with extra blackberries and candied sage leaves.