Building your own Gourmet BBQ Burger Bar couldn’t be easier! Featuring my favorite Head Country Bar-B-Q seasoning and sauces, you get all the BBQ flavor you are craving. Simple and unique toppings are what make this burger bar really stand out from the rest!
Disclosure: This post has been sponsored by Head Country Bar-B-Q. As always, all opinions are my own.
Summer is here and it is time to GRILL.
When it comes to backyard BBQ’s and celebrations, you have to fire up the grill. I feel like that is just a must.
Though I will grill basically anything throughout the summer, nothing beats the classic burger. The juicy ground beef over a wicked hot grill, well, it just screams summers spent on the patio.
This year, instead of the classic burger bar, I am switching things up by adding a BBQ twist to this gourmet burger spread.
I’ve broken the burger bar down into three simple areas.
First, you have your burger mixture that I made with Head Country Bar-B-Q seasoning. Personally I love to use High Plains Heat, but you can use whatever type you like! I love the championship seasoning line because all the spice combinations work well in burgers, as well as on any other meats, in pasta, or even sprinkled over nachos.
Second, make some gourmet toppings! With just a few extra steps, you can make some seriously flavorful toppings that add so much to a burger. None of these toppings are difficult, but they make a real difference! This burger bar has:
Black Pepper Bacon
Finally, add in some classic toppings and the Head Country Bar-B-Q sauces. With all these elements, the options are endless for burger combinations.
Here are some of my favorite burger combinations for this particular burger bar:
Bacon Cheddar BBQ Burger
Cheddar cheese + Head Country Original BBQ Sauce + black pepper bacon + caramelized onion
Hawaiian BBQ Burger
Pepper Jack cheese + Head Country Hot & Spicy BBQ Sauce + grilled pineapple + black pepper bacon
Gourmet BBQ Cheeseburger
Heirloom tomato + Head Country Sweet & Sticky BBQ Sauce + red onion + pickles
Pro tip: when assembling this burger, add the thick slice of heirloom tomato to the bottom toasted bun before adding the patty. It’ll make the burger more stable!
This Recipe’s Must-Haves
First of all, be sure to stock up on Head Country Bar-B-Q seasonings and sauces. This is what gives the burger bar that delightful barbecue twist! Pick all your favorites – you can customize however you would like.
For grilling, I love to use my Traeger grill. It adds some additional flavor to the burgers and the grilled pineapple! I use Traeger grill signature pellets instead of some of the stronger flavors of pellets.
Don’t forget the Traeger grill tongs as well!
Finally, you will need a half sheet baking pan with a baking rack to make the black pepper bacon.
We’re making a gourmet bbq burger bar!
Make Gourmet Toppings
I like to start by making the gourmet toppings for the burger bar. That way you can serve the burgers hot off the grill!
Sprinkle bacon with black pepper, then bake it up until it is nice and crispy!
To caramelize the onion, all you have to do is cook down the onion with butter and oil until they are browned and sticky.
Slice heirloom tomatoes into thick slices, drizzle with oil, and season with salt and pepper.
Now you can move onto the burgers!
Mix together two pounds of ground beef with one tablespoon Head Country Bar-B-Q seasoning.
Form the beef into six patties, setting them on a plate until the grill is preheated.
Add the burgers and pineapple slices to the grill. I usually cook my burgers for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side for medium rare (more cooking time details are in the recipe card below!).
If you are adding cheese, be sure to do so in the last minute of cooking so it melts!
While the burgers and pineapple are grilling, assemble the burger bar. Add all the classic toppings and gourmet toppings to the bar, along with toasted buns.
Serve everyone a burger the moment it comes off the grill and let me have fun!
Need inspiration for sides to serve with these burgers? Check out my side dishes recipe page for some tasty ideas.
Can I use different toppings?
Don’t like mustard? Don’t serve it! If you want a different sauce or cheese, serve it! You can mix and match all you want. That’s the beauty of a burger bar. Add all your favorite toppings and enjoy!
What Head Country Bar-B-Q sauces should I use?
I like to use Hot & Spicy, Original, and Sweet & Sticky for this particular burger bar. However, you can use any sauce you like from Apple Habanero to Chipotle to Hickory Smoke.
If you are looking for some sides to serve alongside this burger bar, check out this vegetarian pasta salad or bacon cilantro lime corn salad! For a nonalcoholic drink, this pineapple sherbet punch is fun for all ages!
Watch how I set up this burger bar at home below!
Gourmet BBQ Burger Bar
BBQ flavors and gourmet toppings make this burger bar the star of the party!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 Tbsp Head Country Seasoning, whatever flavor you like!
- Optional: 6 slices of your favorite cheese (cheddar, pepper jack, swiss, etc)
- 6 burger buns, toasted
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
Black Pepper Bacon
- 1/2 lb sliced bacon
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb heirloom tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Coarse sea salt
- 1 pineapple, cut into thick rings
- Head Country Bar-B-Q Sauces
- Red onion
- For the Black Pepper Bacon: Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and top with a baking rack. Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Add bacon in an even layer. Sprinkle it evenly with black pepper. Bake until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- For the Tomato Slices: Thickly slice the tomatoes. Place on a serving plate, drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- For the Caramelized Onions: In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter with oil. Once hot, add sliced onion. Season with salt and pepper. Cook down slowly, stirring occasionally, until well caramelized, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- For the Grilled Pineapple: Grill pineapple on each side for about 4 to 5 minutes, until softened.
- For the Burgers: Preheat the grill to medium high heat. Lightly oil the grill grates.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef and Head Country Bar-B-Q seasoning. Use your hands or a big spoon to bring the mixture together. Be sure to only work the mixture until just combined. If you overwork the combination it will be too tough.
- Shape the beef into 6 patties.
- Add the burgers to the grill. Cook for 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. For rare, cook for 3 minutes per side. For medium to medium well, cook for 5 to 6 minutes per side. If you would like to use cheese, add a cheese slice to each patty during the last minute of cooking.
- For the Burger Bar: While the burgers are cooking, assemble the burger bar with the gourmet toppings and classic toppings.
- Remove burgers to a plate and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Leave a Reply