Butterbeer Cocktail (Two Ways!)
A Butterbeer Cocktail is all you need to enjoy a “Harry Potter” themed cocktail party! It doesn’t matter what the temperature is outside, you can indulge in this cocktail all year long because it’s made to be served hot OR cold. Time to believe in magic, friends.
Where are all my Harry Potter fans at?!?!
Since it’s the day after my birthday, and I like my birthday celebrations to drag out until everyone around me gets annoyed with me, I thought I’d keep it going with a cocktail themed around my favorite series of all time…
Yes, I am a giant Harry Potter nerd and if you didn’t know this already, you are new to the blog so welcome!
From reading all the books, obsessing over the movies, going to Harry Potter World, buying a wand to do spells with around the theme park and getting the Deathly Hallows tattooed on my ankle, one could say I’m an avid fan.
I remember every book and every movie opening. I remember every magical moment I would turn the page and discover a new magical secret about Hogwarts. It touches a special place in my heart, so of course I had to incorporate that love into my favorite time of day… happy hour.
Remember when you first heard about butterbeer? I do! I remember reading about the creamy, buttery flavor and wishing that I had a frothy glass in front of me to enjoy as I delved into Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
When I went to Harry Potter World a handful of years ago, I was thrilled to learn that butterbeer was served up two ways there, both hot AND cold. That is exactly the inspiration for these cocktails!
Here in Colorado, Halloween is one of those holidays that can go either way in terms of weather. Occasionally there will be a blizzard. Occasionally it will be 70+ degrees outside. So it’s a toss up on what cocktail to serve!
Do you plan for hot? Do you plan for cold?
With this cocktail, you can plan for both! That’s right, this cocktail can be served up both hot and cold so your Halloween cocktail plans are all wrapped up in this tidy, deliciously indulgent package.
This butterbeer cocktail is exactly what I would imagine butterbeer cocktails would taste like in Hogsmeade. It’s full of butterscotch creamy flavors, with a dash of zesty ginger to liven the whole glass up so it’s not so rich and dense.
Cheers to a proper Halloween celebration!
This Recipe’s Must Haves
- Harry Potter Paperback Box Set
- Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection
- PasabahceClassic Glass Irish Coffee Mug
- JoyJolt Stella Lead Free Crystal Highball Glasses
Pin this Butterbeer Cocktail recipe for later!
Yield: Serves 2-4
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 3/4 cup bourbon
- 1/3 cup butterscotch schnapps
- 2/3 cups ginger beer
- 4 dashes ginger bitters
- Garnish: whipped cream, butterscotch syrup
- To serve HOT: In a medium saucepan, heat cider, bourbon and butterscotch schnapps over medium-high heat until the mixture is hot.
- Remove mixture from heat and stir in ginger beer and ginger bitters.
- Ladle into mugs and serve immediately with whipped cream and butterscotch syrup.
- To serve COLD: Chill apple cider, bourbon, butterscotch schnapps and ginger beer before making the cocktail.
- In a pitcher, stir together cider, bourbon, butterscotch schnapps, and ginger bitters.
- Add the glasses filled with ice. Top with ginger beer. Garnish with whipped cream and butterscotch syrup.