Bourbon Caramel Apple Popovers
Bourbon Caramel Apple Popovers are THE dessert of the fall. Creamy bourbon caramel tops easy-to-make apple popovers to end your meal with a boozy seasonally sweet note. Are you drooling yet? Because I am.
Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting Cake ‘n Knife!
Soooooo have you had enough of my fall obsession yet?
I feel so basic as I continue to sing praises about this season that I love. At least I’m not toting a PSL in a pair of Ugg boots with a ten scarves and a messy bun?
I mean, it is fall and that means you say helloooooooo (even more fervently than normal) to bourbon. Especially when it’s in a creamy caramel sauce that you make from scratch.
I don’t know why I don’t make more popovers. They are so ridiculously easy to throw together and their texture is downright heavenly. You get all those fluffy air pockets in there that make the popovers actually pop over (get it? get it?) the tins you back them in. They are light and airy, and the fresh apple gives a little burst of tangy freshness in each bite.
Then you drizzle over the bourbon caramel, and it’s MONEY BABY.
If that’s not enough, today I’m bringing you another brilliant collaboration with my blogging besties!
Us ladies, we love our booze and we love our dessert, so what better way to celebrate fall than with a boozy desserts collab! Check out the other tasty treats below (because simply making Bourbon Caramel Apple Popovers is never enough… you need MORE boozy sweetness in your life!):
Enjoy, my friends. Enjoyyyyyyyyyyy.
This Recipe’s Must Haves
Pin this Bourbon Caramel Apple Popovers recipe for later!
Bourbon Caramel Apple Popovers
Yield: Makes 6 popovers + extra caramel sauce
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:55 minutes
Total Time:1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs, room temp
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, room temp
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 green apple, peeled and cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees with a nonstick popover pan on the rack in the lowest position.
- First, make the caramel. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, combine sugar and corn syrup, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved, approximately 8-10 minutes. The mixture will be a dark amber.
- Reduce heat to medium. Slowly add the heavy cream, bourbon and butter to the skillet (be careful, it will splatter a bit!). Cook, stirring constantly, until combined, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl. whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla until frothy, approximately 1 minutes.
- Add flour, salt, sugar, and ground cinnamon to the egg mixture. Whisk until the batter comes together with some small lumps still remaining. Gently fold in chopped apple.
- Remove popover pan from the oven and coat with cooking spray. Fill popover cups approximately 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake an additional 20 minutes until golden brown.
- In the last 5 minutes of baking, reheat the caramel over low heat until smooth and creamy again.
- Remove popover pan from the oven and carefully remove the popovers from the pan onto a wire rack.
- Serve immediately with bourbon caramel.