Mexico has been on my mind a lot lately. Lazy afternoons by the pool, frequent naps, room service, and tacos… So many tacos… As many as I could shove in my face in one sitting.
Have you ever been able to eat just one taco? Me neither. Obviously.
For some reason I was really craving shrimp tacos this weekend, perhaps because I miss my Mexico laziness, perhaps because there is no good reason NOT to crave tacos. Ever.
The real reason is I wanted something easy and incredibly tasty to wash away the sense of failure when I totally destroyed my first attempt at French pastry… Julia Child was rolling in her grave. I am so ashamed. That woman who cooked her way through Mastering the Art of French Cooking was a more gifted cook than she lets on in her book… Damn her.
Anyway back to the happy tacos.
The relief I found in these tacos was a freaking revelation. They saved me from throwing French pastry cream all over my kitchen. I think that says it all.
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 Tbsp fat-free mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tsp grated lime rind
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground fennel
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 24 raw shrimp
- Olive oil
- 8 small corn tortillas
- Combine the crema ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine spices for the tacos in a small bowl. Sprinkle over both sides of the shrimp. Heat a small skillet with 1/4 Tbsp olive oil. Cook shrimp over medium heat until pink and cooked through.
- Heat tortillas according to directions on package. Divide shrimp evenly among tortillas; top each with crema, tomato, and a sprinkle of lime juice.