A Taste of Summer – Sweet and Spicy Glazed Chicken Tostadas with Blueberry Peach Salsa
Despite the unreal heat wave we are getting right now and the horrible fires plaguing the state, summer is such a wonderful time of year. Pools are open, our grill/smoker is getting used, my favorite fruits and veggies are in season, and days seem to last forever.
Yet my summers have been lacking a certain something all these years… I never knew what it was until I took my first bite of fresh, homemade fruit salsa.
Oh dear lord, this salsa, I mean THIS SALSA, will blow your mind.
I have no excuse for not trying fruit salsa sooner. I feel like I have been missing the true joy of summer for the past 25 years by not allowing my mouth to enjoy this burst of fresh flavor. If I could stop myself from eating it all in one sitting, I would be putting this salsa on EVERYTHING.
And for good reason because it kicked ass.
This is one of those summer dishes that I would love to make all year round (if only these fruits were in season all year…) and would readily eat every single night. To me this is the epitome of a perfect dish – it has texture, it’s spicy and sweet and savory all at one time, and it makes you smile despite the mess you I make when eating it. The flavors explode in your mouth and in between the moans of enjoyment; you realize you literally have summer in your mouth.
At the very least, you have to try the salsa. Seriously, it will change your life.
Sweet and Spicy Glazed Chicken Tostadas with Blueberry Peach Salsa
Yield: 8 tostadas
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil + 1/4 cup more for tortillas
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup cooked sweet corn
- 1 avocado, cut into cubes
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, chopped
- 1 ripe peach, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 3-4 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of one lime
- Salt & pepper
- In a medium bowl, stir together all of the salsa ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and season with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium heat with 2 Tbsp olive oil. Add chicken and cook until browned on all sides, approximately 10 to 12 minutes.
- In a bowl, stir together vinegar, honey, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, garlic and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- While the chicken is cooking, fry to tostadas. Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat with 2 Tbsp oil. Fry each tortilla for approximately 20 seconds per side, until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Remove chicken from the skillet when done and place on a plate. Add the sauce to the skillet, stirring constantly, until it begins to bubble and thicken, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Add chicken back in the skillet and toss.
- To assemble the tostadas, place chicken on the fried tortillas, cover with corn, avocado and blueberry salsa.