Blueberry Pie Crumb Bars are all the blueberry pie flavor you love, but without all the hassle of making a homemade pie! These easy pie bars are flavorful and sweet, not to mention super portable so you can serve them up wherever you are headed this summer.
When I think Fourth of July desserts, I think PIE.
Cherry pie, apple pie, blueberry pie…. All the fruit pies are on my radar.
However, I tend to get lazy when the summer heat hits on the weekend. Instead of slaving over a pie, trying to keep the pie dough chilled enough to work with, and all the rest of that mess, I want to be lounging with a drink in hand, relaxing after a long work week.
Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting Cake ‘n Knife!
So I decided it was high time to turn my favorite summer dessert into something a little less difficult to make, and a whole lot easier to eat while I have a drink in the other hand.
Of course, you can do even more with pie bars, like cover them with a lemon cream cheese drizzle to add some additional indulgence.
Who says you need a bikini bod in the summer?
Not worth it when you have pie bars within your reach…
I love the shortbread-like bottom layer of these pie bars almost as much as I like the blueberry filling and crumb topping. The buttery bottom is just the right texture to give you a little bit of a chew, but also balance out the sweetness and tartness of the blueberries. It’s even better than a slice of pie!
Especially with the tart and tangy lemon cream cheese drizzle on top…
If you have a party coming up for Independence Day – or even if you’re just planning on some fireworks in the park with the friends and family – these pie bars will be a HIT. No one can resist the creamy, fruity goodness once you set them out.
This Recipe’s Must Haves
- KitchenAid Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer
- Le Creuset Heritage Stoneware 8″ Square Dish
- Shun Chef’s Knife
Pin this Blueberry Pie Crumb Bars recipe for later!
Blueberry Pie Crumb Bars
Yield: Makes 9 bars
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 1/2Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 egg yolk
Lemon Cream Cheese Drizzle
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temp
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 4 to 5 Tbsp whole milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line an 8x8 pan with foil and grease with butter or cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, toss ingredients for the blueberry layer together until the blueberries are evenly coated. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and baking powder for the bottom layer. Using your fingers or two knives, cut in butter and yolk until combined. The texture should be like wet sand.
- Press two-thirds of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Top with the blueberry layer.
- Add 2 Tbsp brown sugar to the remaining flour mixture. Crumble this topping over the blueberry layer.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Cool completely.
- Once the bars are cool, make the cream cheese drizzle. Beat cream cheese until fluffy, approximately 4 minutes. Add sugar and beat until fully incorporated. Add salt, lemon juice and whole milk until combined.
- Drizzle over cooled bars and slice. Serve.