Hi there and welcome! My name is Meghan and I am a food addict. That’s right, I’m a full-blown junkie. I can’t seem to kick the habit and to be honest, I really don’t want to. Therefore I cook. And bake. And eat. A lot.
I grew up in a family that cherished food. My grandmother and mother taught me everything they know about food, and I’ve carried those traditions into my kitchen. My grandmother was my own Julia Child – she went to Le Cordon Bleu, mastered every complicated recipe, and had hands made of steel (which I did NOT inherit, as evidenced by the mass amounts of burn scars I bear). Her cooking was the best.
I have to admit, I am not my grandmother. I wish I was, but in reality I am impatient, ornery and I don’t like overly complicated recipes. Cooking shouldn’t be difficult unless you are trying to make it difficult. It took me a long time to reach this little “aha!” moment, but when it did, well, that’s about the time Cake ‘n Knife came to be.
About Cake ‘n Knife
Put down your caviar and truffles folks; let’s make some down-to-earth, incredible food.
In my kitchen, cooking gourmet food isn’t about complicated ingredients, tools or techniques. It’s about approaching cooking in a way that doesn’t stress you out or demand ultimate perfection. Fresh ingredients, unique flavor combinations and love = gourmet food, every single time. It’s as simple as that!
Cake ‘n Knife is where I share winning, uncomplicated recipes that you can easily recreate at home and will want to share with others for those everyday celebrations we all cherish so much. Here you will discover new flavors and techniques, but most importantly, you will creating great food and sharing it with your loved ones, just like I do with mine.
If you want to know a little more about me….
- I live in Denver with my dog, Kya. She’s a Carolina Dog mutt – adorable, perfect, crazy and unbelievably strange most of the time.
- I lived in Rome for a semester in 2007 and that is where my love for uncomplicated, delicious gourmet recipes to honor life’s everyday celebrations came to life. I experienced food in a way I never had before and boy did the Romans know how to find a reason to celebrate!
- Music is a must whenever I’m cooking (really at all times if I can manage it), which almost always leads to dance breaks in the kitchen.
- I have a cookbook obsession. I will grab anything and everything. It’s gotten a little out of control and I ran out of shelf space a long time ago. It’s a good thing I don’t live in London, or my house would be this shop (p.s. if you ever go to or live in London, go there – it’s heaven).
- Guacamole is my favorite food, but don’t make me pick a favorite dessert. I inherited my grandfather’s sweet tooth (who looked like Santa by the way, seriously red nose and all!).
- The monthly Food & Wine or Bon Appetit magazine = me squealing with excitement and getting lost for hours in the pages.
- My best friend in my head is Alton Brown.
If you have a question about a recipe, it’s easiest to leave a comment on that recipe for me to respond to.
If you have other questions or just want to say hi, shoot me a note at meghan [at] cakenknife [dot] com.
The fine print… because we gotta have it.
All photography and recipes were created by myself for Cake ‘n Knife, unless otherwise stated. Please never repurpose my content without expressed permission. If you do share my work, please link up to the site and cite credit appropriately.
Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same but Cake ‘n Knife will automatically receive a small commission. As always, I love your support!
There will be times when I feature sponsored content, but this will always be disclosed within the post. Know that I will never promote anything on my site unless I 100% stand behind the product. You’ll always get an honest review from me.