Grandma’s Lavender Cookies
Lavender cookies are the first things I remember baking with my grandma Alice. I am sure there was probably a lot of recipes I made with her before, but this is a recipe I remember most. I am pretty sure it started with me wanting to decorate cookies with flowers and my grandma ever-so kindly (she was the kindest woman in the world) giving into my demands.
The recipe was so simple and I helped with every step along the way. The best part was when the cookies cooled and we were ready to ice them. My grandma had me pick flowers from her garden and we laid the petals on top of each cookie, gently topping them with a thin icing. They were the most beautiful things I’ve ever made (I am sure my grandma sneaked in her magical fixes, I was always a mess in the kitchen), even to this day.
Any time I have a meltdown in the kitchen, whether a recipe isn’t working for me or I just burned dinner, I think back to those cookies with my grandma. I remember my mom walking in and her jaw dropping to the floor. I remember beaming with pride and how my grandma smelled of cookie dough and lavender.
I miss my grandma terribly every year when spring turns into summer and the roses in my front yard begin to come to life again. This year especially for some reason and making these cookies in my kitchen on a sunny day, I felt like she was there with me, whispering to me to lick the spoon and not let any dough go to waste.
So today I am sharing a piece of my heart and my family with yours. Here’s to cookies, grandmas, and summer!
Grandma's Lavender Cookies
Yield: 2 dozen
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:15 minutes
Total Time:30 minutes
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lavender leaves
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tsp lavender extract
- 2-3 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 2 lined baking sheets or line with silpats.
- In a blender, combine eggs, butter, sugar and lavender leaves. Blend on low until well combined and the lavender flowers have broken up into small pieces.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and stir together until combined. Drop dough onto the greased baking sheets, 1 Tbsp at a time.
- Bake cookies for 10 to 15 minutes, until the edges are golden brown. Cool completely on wire racks.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, lavender extract and water, stirring until it forms a smooth frosting. Once the cookies are cool, spread them with a thin layer of icing and garnish with a few dried lavender flowers.