A Taste of Fall – Apple Pie Bread
Fall won’t be around for much longer in Denver. It’s already snowing inches in the mountains and the threat is coming closer and closer to the city.
So I suppose I better start in on the fall dishes before my small window of fall closes for the winter.
Is this a beautiful loaf of bread or is this a beautiful loaf of bread?
I mean really, I didn’t expect it to look this gorgeous. Oh, and the smell? Devastatingly delicious. You’re whole house will smell like fall. It’s fabulous.
I am going to keep my ranting and raving short and sweet today to wrap up the week (mostly because I am too exhausted from playing with birthday presents to think…. or to focus on anything else…). Thankfully I have family and friends with crazy schedules so my birthday celebrations start before my actual birthday and end way after. 🙂 How did I get so lucky?? It’s like the universe is openly recognizing that my birthday should last the entire month of October – well up until Halloween of course.
Is anyone dressing up for Halloween this year? What are you going to be? I am seriously struggling with my costume selection so I need ideas. Or else I will have to repeat a previous costume. From what I have heard, this is totally NOT ok to do… Maybe I should just stay in like an actual grown-up…
Do you see my inner struggle?? HELP.
Apple Pie Bread
Yield: 1 loaf
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened and cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp apple pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large apples shredded and peeled (approx. 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x5x3" loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, apple pie spice and salt together. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed for approximately 30 seconds. Beat in sugars and mix until well combined. Beat in buttermilk and baking powder until combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla until thoroughly incorporated. Gradually add the flour mixture and mix on low-speed until just incorporated. Fold in shredded apples, pecans and cranberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, flour and apple pie spice. Using your fingers, cut in butter, smashing butter between fingertips, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans. Spoon topping over the batter, pressing gently into the batter.
- Bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack before serving.